Dr. Ramdas M Pai
Dr. Ramdas Madhav Pai is the Chairman Emeritus, Manipal Education and Medical Group (MEMG). His father, Dr. T. M. A. Pai, was the founder of the Group.
A strong advocate of public-private partnerships, Dr. Ramdas Pai built on his father’s vision to provide affordable world-class education. Today, MEMG is the largest education services provider in India, with 11 campuses across 6 universities in 5 countries. MEMG is also the third largest provider of healthcare in India, through its network of Manipal Hospitals.
After graduating from Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, in 1958, Ramdas Pai went to Temple University, Philadelphia, to earn a post graduate degree in hospital administration. He returned to India in 1961 to join his father in Manipal and, in subsequent years, accelerated the expansion of the Group’s foray into education and later into healthcare and research.
The numerous awards and accolades he has received include:
- Padma Bhushan, India’s third highest civilian honour, for his outstanding contribution in the field of education and healthcare from the President of India, 2011.
- Golden Peacock Lifetime Achievement Award, 2011.
- Chanakya National Award for achievers by Public Relations Council of India, 2008.
- 'Kanara Ratna Award' by Kanara College Society, Kumta, 2008.
- Honoured by the Government of Karnataka in celebration of the Suvarna Karnataka Year, 2006.
- 'Udupi Rathna' from the Udupi Utsav Committee, 2005.
- Deccan Herald Avenues HR Excellence Lifetime Achievement Award, 2005.
- Ernst and Young Entrepreneur Award of the Year in the services category, 2004.
- Honorary Fellowship of the Faculty of General Dental Practitioners (FGDP) of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, 2004.
- The Great Son of the Soil award by All India Conference of Intellectuals, 1997.
- 'Konkani Prathibha' award by Konkani Bhasha Prachar Sabha, Cochin, 1994.
- Phillips Medal of Ohio University, USA, in recognition of public service, 1993.
- Dr. BC Roy National Award for Community Health Work, presented by the President of India, 1993.
- National Professor of General Practice/Family Medicine by IMA College of General Practitioners, 1992.